When donating your car to charity, one of the most important documents to have is your vehicle title. While in some cases Giving Center can make arrangements when you can’t locate your car title, the process is much easier if you do have the title.
Because this is the legal document that shows you own your vehicle, it is important to fill it out correctly when you need to do a title transfer. Duplicate copies can be obtained if you make a mistake. However, you can avoid a time-consuming trip to the DMV by learning exactly how to fill out your title when donating a car to charity. Looking for a charity that will take in your vehicle? Consider donating with the Giving Center! They accept a wide variety of charitable vehicle donations, including but not limited to: commercial vehicles, suv’s, trucks, cars, motorcycles, RVs, industrial vehicles, donate aircraft, donate boats, and more!
What Does My Car Title Look Like?
Vehicle titles vary from state to state, but it is an easy document to identify. Most car titles will say “Certificate of Title” or “Department of Motor Vehicles” at the top along with your state. The title will have the owner’s name and address as well as all the details about your vehicle. These details include the VIN, make and model of your vehicle and the odometer reading at the time you purchased the vehicle. If your vehicle has been damaged, the title may be “branded” as a salvage, prior salvage, flood damaged or rebuild vehicle.
Your vehicle title should be stored in a safe place inside your house. It may seem convenient to store it in your glovebox. However, this could lead to trouble if someone were to break into or steal your car. If the title is in your car, the thief could potentially switch the vehicle into their name or sell it to someone.
Tips For Filling Out Your Vehicle Title
When you do choose to donate a car, filling out the title correctly the first time will save you time and money. Keep in mind that rules vary from state to state. What is allowed in one state might not work where you live. If you are donating your car to Giving Center, you can always call us for help before filling out your certificate of title.
Here are a few tips to get you started in the right direction:
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, this will be shown on your title. You will likely need paperwork from the bank showing that it has been paid off.
- Some states require that your signature be notarized when you sign the title. If you live in such a state, do not sign your title until you are with a notary public.
- Don’t use a pencil or colored pen to fill out your vehicle title. In most cases, only black or blue ink is allowed.
- If you do make a mistake, using white-out or scribbling out your mistake may void your title. If you do mess up, it is best to ask how to correct it before covering up the mistake.
- Fill out the accurate odometer reading. Intentionally misrepresenting the odometer reading or attempting to roll back the odometer itself is illegal.
- Be aware that rips, stains, burn marks or other marks may cause a delay or other issues if these marks cover up important information.
- Remember that it’s best to contact Giving Center if you have any questions. Filling out your title incorrectly can lead to extra paperwork and delays regarding your donation.
How To Donate A Car To Giving Center
The vehicle title is one of the most important things you need in order to donate your car. Filling it out correctly can be stressful, but we have a Title Department dedicated to helping with all of your questions. Give our Title Department a call at 1-888-228-7320 for any questions you may have about your title.
We strive to make car donation a simple and stress-free process. We handle everything for you and are here to answer all your questions when you donate your car to Giving Center. If you have a car to donate, just give us a call at 1-888-228-7320 or fill out an online car donation form.
When you donate a vehicle, you receive free towing from just about anywhere in the U.S. Because we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, you will also receive a great tax deduction for your donation. Best of all, the proceeds from your donation benefit programs for those in need in local communities. Donate your car today and let us take care of everything!